DDoS or Distributed Denial of Service is a type of malicious cyberattack that aims to flood and overwhelm a website or server with traffic that is more than what it can handle. As a result, this attack disrupts the service availability of the targeted website to render it inoperable.
We have observed over recent years that these kinds of attacks are increasing, which fuels the demand for intelligent distributed denial of service protection solutions. There have been many reported cases of unplanned data centre outages owing to distributed denial of service attacks. The growth of this kind of threat is due to easy access to tools, and the potential profit hackers get from extortion.
This upgraded denial of service attacks targets businesses and organizations directly, which leads to substantial financial and personal losses. Hence it is critical to employ a robust protection software solution. The DDoS protection software market is estimated to have a +14% increase by 2028.
Due to the recent shifts of businesses to online platforms as an extension of their services, DDoS software’s demand is rising. This is due to the exponential increase of multi-vector DDoS attacks and the ease of deployment and availability of denial of service for hire services today.
Statistics show the continuous increase of deadly DDoS attacks and the forthcoming requirement to employ a robust distributed denial of service protection service:
- A perceptible 2.5 times rise in DDoS attacks between 2014 to 2017
- By 2020, the recorded number of DDoS attacks reached 17 million, with an estimated cost of one attack between $20,000 to $40,000 per hour.
- The average size of a DDoS attack was an astounding 26.37 GBps in 2018 Q2 that drastically increase by 967%, reaching 100 GBps in 2019 Q1.
- The most significant recorded attack was against GitHub last February 2018 Q2 with 1.3 TBps.
- China is the top offending country as the origin of DDoS attacks in 2020 Q3, accounting for 70% of all attacks.
- Denial of service activities have 542% increase between 2019 Q4 and 2020 Q1
- The DDoS protection and mitigation market size globally is expected to increase from $2.4 billion in 2019 to $6 billion by 2028.
DDoS protection works by using algorithms and advanced software to manage incoming traffic to a website or online service. It denies illegitimate traffic access and allows legitimate requests by filtering through.
In recent years, DDoS attacks are becoming more sophisticated and evolved, the threat and impact of the targeted network change over time.
Although volumetric attacks have similarities to typical denial of service attacks, the application-specific and targeted attacks of high-intensity increases in number. DDoS software solutions aim to eradicate the downtime that these kinds of attacks cause and enhance a website’s availability to keep businesses serviceable and productive.